Basics that are far from Boring
Having a capsule wardrobe can take the chaos out of morning dressing. Especially now as many of us return to the physical workplace. It’s worth investing in lasting quality for the staples. Think in terms of cost per wear. And of course, style shouldn’t have to sacrifice comfort. Jeans with just 5% Lycra can give that all day comfort wear without having to resort to the stretchy pants.
Yes, admittedly, Jennifer Aniston would make anything look good but I love her simple staples of jeans, t-shirt, wrap scarf usually finished off with boots, leather belt and big sunglasses. Depending on the weather or where she is she’ll top it off with a leather biker jacket, blazer or oversized coat. Swapping out the biker jacket for a blazer is a great way to make this look slightly more structured.
When I’m designing a scarf, I always think about the wearer and the colour palette. How the scarf can bring an outfit together by tying in and picking up colours for a co-ordinated yet casual look. Other times, the scarf is designed to be the centre piece, bringing colour to an all black or white outfit. The vibrancy of silk adding luxury to an outfit but also the practicality of its breathable and thermal qualities. Silk is great for retaining body heat but also keeping us cool.
For this look, I’ve chosen the Day Dreamer, scarf, 85% modal 15% silk. The design is based on the sun setting as we walked along a local beach. The sky was a mix of blues, golden tones and billowing clouds – perfect match for denim at anytime of year, but will also be great for a wrap over summer whites and bare shoulders.
I’ve paired Day Dreamer with black sunglasses, belt and boots but these items are also available in tortoise shell (sunglasses) and tan – like the belt and boots Jennifer is wearing in this photo. The bronze hues in the scarf would accentuate brown accessories and bring the whole look together.
Why I’ve chosen these pieces
- Day Dreamer Scarf by Siobhán McKenna (see above!) https://siobhanmckenna.ie/
- Ted Baker Biker Leather Jacket. There’s a lot of options available as the biker jacket is timeless. However, I’ve had my Ted Baker leather jacket for over ten years – and it still looks fabulous. https://arnotts.ie
- Armed Angel jeans. This is an ethical clothing from German. I like that they’re European and even better their mission. They also rate well on Good on You. Https://armedangels.com
- Le Specs sunglasses because they make me smile when I put them on. I feel very glamorous yet, the reasonable price point means I can wear them everyday (yes, even in Ireland, I wear sunnies daily) without being too precious about them. I got mine in https://seagreen.ie
- Holden leather belt. An Irish craft company based in Dingle, Co. Kerry. They’re new to me but have been around for over 30 years. I love their contemporary Irish-ness , quality and their dog! https://holdenleathergoods.com
- Zadig & Voltaire boots. I love my Z&V boots – a French company and just very cool! I got mine in https://brownthomas.com